moblog uk

Stopped Clocks

group profile | members | imagewall | Stopped Clocks maps

Stopped Clocks is a public collaborative project which exists to first document all the stopped clocks in the UK, with the aim being to restore those we can to working order.

Anyone can help, so please send us any information on stopped clocks in your area and by all means post here at the blog.

Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike License

Search this moblog

Recent visitors

rss rss feed

Stratford Shopping Centre

(viewed 3093 times)
This had hands 20 years ago even though it didn't work, now even they are gone ...

Posted by plewis

St John at Bethnal Green

(viewed 2935 times)
Surely removed clock and/or clock faces?
Cambridge Heath Road/Roman Road crossroads opposite Bethnal Green tube station.

About
St John on Bethnal Green was built in 1826-1828 to a design by Sir John Soane and was extensively repaired in 1871 after a fire, the vicarage being built in 1852. The design of the church was controversial. The West tower with its cupola, was described as an "object of low wit and vulgar abuse.It was formed from part of the parish of St Matthew's, Bethnal Green when the area grew in population.

The Church has had a new roof in recent times to ensure further deterioration while fundraising to restore the West Front.

Haha, found an image with a clock insitu ...

Posted by plewis

5th Sep 2008, 17:14   | tags:comments (3)

English & Son funeral directors

(viewed 3402 times)
Bethnal Green Road Funeral Directors and Memorial Consultants

Posted by plewis

Formerly Electric House

(viewed 3827 times)
This clock was in a bad/non functioning state for years. Noticed it has recently been repaired/gilded etc. There was a local appeal for the £12,000 needed to repair it in early 2007 (as the council wouldn't help - initially)

39 Bow Road, opposite side of street from Bow Road tube.

Some info about the Memorial

Minnie Lansbury (1889 - 1 January 1922) was a leading suffragette and an alderman on the first Labour-led council in the Metropolitan Borough of Poplar, England.

Minnie was the daughter of coal merchant Isaac Glassman and the first wife (married 1914) of Edgar Lansbury, son of George Lansbury, mayor of Poplar and later leader of the Labour Party. (After Minnie's death, Edgar married actress Moyna MacGill and became the father of Angela Lansbury.)

Minnie Lansbury became a teacher, and joined the East London suffragettes in 1915. She was also chairman of the War Pensions Committee, fighting for the rights of widows, orphans and wounded from World War I. She was elected alderman on Poplar’s first Labour council in 1919, before women received Parliamentary suffrage.

In 1921, she was one of five women on Poplar Council who, along with their male colleagues, were jailed for six weeks for refusing to levy full rates in the poverty-stricken area. Due to her imprisonment, she developed pneumonia and died. She was buried in the Jewish cemetery in East Ham. The Minnie Lansbury Memorial Clock on Electric House in Bow Road was erected in the 1930s.

Actress Angela Lansbury is the daughter of Minnie's widower husband.

Posted by plewis

Empty

(viewed 3312 times)
Surely an empty case from an old Undertakers establishment? Just Before the Half Moon public house (which used to be The Half Moon Theatre in a former Methodist Church). Just past Stephney Green tube station. opposite White Hart Lane.

Posted by plewis

opposite Anchor Retail Park, Stepney

(viewed 4604 times)
Opposite side of street to Anchor Retail Park, Mile End Road, adjoining Hayfield Passage. Dial looks new. Fairly nondescript private dwelling. strange.

Posted by plewis

Trinty Green - Alms houses

(viewed 3081 times)
set back from road in Trinty Green, 27 Mile End Road. Built in 1695 to house “decayed masters and commanders of ships and their widows” as mentioned on the two original plaques on either side of the entrance gates.

Posted by plewis

Former Albion Brewery (closed 1979)

(viewed 4268 times)
between Bow Idea store and The Blind Beggar Public House, Whitechapel Road. Set back from road.

This was the entrance to Mann, Crossman & Paulin’s Albion Brewery at 172 Whitechapel Road. The four stories high grade II listed building was constructed in the 1880s. Below the clock is the firm's logo of "Saint George Slaying the Dragon".

Brewery closed in 1979.

Posted by plewis