1. Where are you? Tell us the story that got you there.
In Amsterdam, in my old house, in between getting the new place up and breaking down the old one. I was born in Zaandam, about 15 kilometres north of Amsterdam. But you're young and want to move to the big city, so I did.
2. Why do you Moblog? And which of the posts on your Moblog are your favorite?
I bought a phone with a camera, and wanted to do something with the pictures that came out. After a few failed attempts at other sites I found moblog on wiki, and was hooked from the start.
Now 3 years down the road and over 1100 pictures uploaded I am still hooked. I learned to use the camera in different ways, and got to know some great people that really supported me when things went down bad. Thanks!
My favourite post must be the Balloon Fetish post
. I'm not going to explain why, just read!
My favourite picture is the Giraffe 3. If you could take a year off, what would you do with it.
Been there, done that, would do the same, all over again.
4. If money, transportation and reservations did not need to be considered, where would you be having dinner tonight? What would you eat?
I would be sitting in Kapchorwa, a town on top of Mt Elgon in the west of Uganda. Hidden away on a cliff stands a nice local hostel called The Crows Nest. I would be eating deep fried chapati with home made guacamole, accompanied by a cold local beer. I have been there with my mom, freezing nights, goats with malaria, and the best atmosphere ever. But the swing they have tops everything, right on the cliff, it makes you feel like flying over the mountain, free as a bird, I want to be buried there.
5. What is your favourite subject to talk about? Tell us about it.
I think that would be about all the countries I have been to in Africa, my travels. Ask me and I won't stop!
6. What trait do you most dislike in yourself and what trait do you most dislike in others?
Disagreeing with people I don't like, just for the sake of disagreeing. Ignorance, I can't stand it.
7. What's your motto? Your tagline? Your favourite saying?
Don't hurry slow things. I think you can pretty much use it on everything and on everyone that tries to rush things. It was told to me by the conductor on the Tazara train from Tanzania to Zambia, when someone asked the conductor to hurry with the tickets he said this and added, "we have 5 more days, and will probably break down between here and Zambia, we have all the time in the world". It always gives me inner rest when I feel rushed.
8. What is your strongest memory from childhood?
Christmas, I was four years old and my first day at kindergarten. We were painting Christmas tree's, when I was halfway through, the bully of the class stole my green paint, I decided to continue with brown since I didn't have the balls to take it back. I had a wonky Christmas tree that year. The kid who stole my paint, has been in and out of jail since the age of 16.
9. What movie have you most often recommended to others and why, or what's your favorite movie? The Gods Must be Crazy
. The whole movie is great, but the first part is just brilliant, makes you think.
10. Of all the places you have travelled or lived, is there one in particular that you think everyone should see some time in their lives, and why?
Yes, but promise me you won't all go there, because then it just wouldn't be the same. It's Lamu a small Islamic island in the north of Kenya, they have no cars, just donkeys, no garages, but donkey sanctuaries. Small alleys, amazing architecture, sea breeze, playing games, drinking fresh fruit juice.
Conversely, is there one you never want to see again?
Yes, Egypt and South Africa. You didn't ask why, so not explaining :)
Posted by Puddlepuff