(viewed 370 times)
1. We desperately need some rain.
2. Daisies bathe in the warmth of a gentle south westerly breeze.
3. A view from Wilstone Reservoir's hide.
4. Restoring the Wendover canal bed.
5. The navigable link at Tring.
I headed south from where we're moored at Puttenham Top Lock walking across tangled-hedged fields to the Wendover Canal, passing along the west side of Wilstone Reservoir on the way out and its east side on the way home. Much of the once abandoned Wendover Canal is dry although great effort is underway to restore the long ago de-watered stretch between Tring and Wendover (apparently it leaked like a sieve such that at times the canal flowed in the opposite direction to what it should due to the amount of water being lost).
It was interesting to see and appreciate signs of work-in-progress to restore the canal bed and where, at Little Tring, it will eventually be reconnected to the navigable section joining it to the Grand Union Canal.
23rd May 2011, 19:42